Norton Quarantining Screensavers

Post your questions and problem reports here

Norton Quarantining Screensavers

Postby curious » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:52 am

Norton Internet Security 10 says screensaver factory 4 and 5 Enterprise screensavers are suspicious and high risk and removes them into quarantine. Sometimes, but not always, Norton's alarms when I preview a Screensaver 5 screensaver I am creating. Anybody else experience this? Why would this be happening. Makes me wonder if something is amiss?

Best regards, curious
curious

Re: Norton Quarantining Screensavers

Postby Karlis » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 am

I tested this and could not reproduce the problem. It might be that it somehow does not like your particular content.

In any case, this is a bug in Norton Internet Security and if you have a sample that exposes this behavior, please submit it to them:
https://submit.symantec.com/dispute/false_positive/

They will take care within a few days as they usually do, but it is essential to give them a sample that allows to repeat the problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby curious » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:54 am

Karlis-Did you test with Norton 10 and their Sonar Protection turned on?

My content is just jpg images. I never had an issue with existing screensavers until I installed Norton Internet Security 10.

I will send them a sample...

Thank you....
curious

Postby bitwise » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Do any of those savers have the exit banner feature on, or that a url opens after the screensaver exits features on? Norton may consider that adware or something.
bitwise

Postby curious » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:13 pm

bitwise wrote:Do any of those savers have the exit banner feature on, or that a url opens after the screensaver exits features on? Norton may consider that adware or something.

Good point, but no, none of them have any of the exit features turned on or exit banners.....
curious

Postby Karlis » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:48 am

No, I believe they have a fault in their virus definitions. Once they have a sample, they should be able to fix this. I have sent files to Nortons online virus scanner but had no luck in reproducing the error also no reports from other users.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ebustya » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:11 am

I had the same problem with Norton Sonar today when I tried to preview my screensaver. Strange, because earlier today it previewed without a problem. My project has the RSS feature turned on, and the autoupdates. Both were on earlier in the day, when there was no problem, and later, when Sonar quarantined it.
ebustya

Postby Karlis » Sun May 02, 2010 10:57 pm

This may have happened because time after time they get buggy virus database updates and all kinds of weird things can happen. In each case a simple false-positive report to Symantec should fix the issue.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby curious » Fri May 07, 2010 9:25 am

Norton appears to be leaving the screensavers alone now. I have not had any issues for a week or so.
all the best, curious
curious

Postby ddexxters75 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:15 am

Do any of those savers have the exit banner feature on, or that a url opens after the screensaver exits features on? Norton may consider that adware or something.

Return to Screensaver Factory Support