CSS Freetool Box

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

CSS Freetool Box

Postby mapleleaf » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:42 pm

I've just downloaded the CSS Free Toolbox and integrated it into WB.

1. Will there a CSS Freetool box(CFB) released that will also support html5?
2. How does the compression of CFB compare with that of what is present in WB?

I truly hope that WB 2011 will soon be released with its html5 support as I have completed the conversion of my web site to that of html5 using WB 2010 and at times with difficulty.

I spent the better part of 4 hours troubleshooting only to discover that I had an orphan html5 tag.

I do hope that with the release of WB 2011 the same feature as found in WB2010 is present namely, the opening/closing tags.

Here is a thought.

Since the support by the major browsers vary in their html5 support and believe me this was a headache in converting to html5 with the two major culprits being IE and Opera in both the html5 and CSS3. Both of these have given me more 'grey hair' then I need and often a comprise has been made.

Opera with their lack of color gradient support and IE with its lack in html5 support.

BUT all is not ending.

For the support of html5 in IE(8&7), I dont have IE9 yet; I do the following within the head

<!-- this is to give IE html5 tag info -->
<!--[if IE]>
<script>
document.createElement('header');
document.createElement('hgroup');
document.createElement('nav');
document.createElement('section');
document.createElement('article');
document.createElement('aside');
document.createElement('footer');
</script>
<![endif]-->

For CSS3 support although limited, I use PIE.htc. Check this out at the following URI, http://css3pie.com/.

If you visit this URI, http://www.html5test.com with the different browsers you will see the support score of each. Not surprising IE is at the bottom of the list while Google Chrome is at the top of the list; respectively 27/300 and 263/300 scores.

There is a difference between FF 3.6.13 and 4.0b11pre but still not near as that of Google Chrome.

Will the new release of WB 2011 have a switch present as to which browser version that is to say the rendering engines; Trident, Webkit and Presto to be used. Having such IMHO will be a blessing in disguise for/in web development? Or a possible future feature? any thoughts on this? Certainly, knowing their differences is useful.

Then here is the 'hammer' namely, some browsers can change their UA like a chimeric so how and or where does WB handle this?

I test my web development with: IE8, FF3.6.13, FF4.0b11pre, Opera, Safari, Google and Maxthon(over 1 billion users in Asia that can change its UA).

Since the web pages are validated as html5 then the logical end result is that in using the different browser as above will make them render virtually the same.

Geee, now that I have babbled enough and hopefully not bored anyone reading this.

Any feedback and or comments?

mapleleaf

http://www.mirana.net
mapleleaf

Re: CSS Freetool Box

Postby Gatis » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:13 pm

1. Will there a CSS Freetool box(CFB) released that will also support html5?

Yes, there will be a new version for the CSS Freetool box. But it will take some time. We first need to release the next version of the editors.
2. How does the compression of CFB compare with that of what is present in WB?

The background engine is basically the same. Actually it does not give you any much more functionality than you have it already in WeBuilder.So, the compression rates are the same.
Will the new release of WB 2011 have a switch present as to which browser version that is to say the rendering engines; Trident, Webkit and Presto to be used. Having such IMHO will be a blessing in disguise for/in web development? Or a possible future feature? any thoughts on this? Certainly, knowing their differences is useful.

Do you mean, you would like to see also support for HTML5 in each rendering engine?
I do not think this will come very soon, if at all. The problem is, to my knowledge there is no such list available where we could easily extract the supported tags and properties in each browser.
If we could get such list for all browsers, and it would not require much work to keep it up-to-date, then this feature would be implemented more easily.
Then here is the 'hammer' namely, some browsers can change their UA like a chimeric so how and or where does WB handle this?

Currently there is no support for that. You can see the way your website looks only by previewing your page in external web browser.

Kind regards,
Gatis
Kind regards,
Gatis Avots
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to Web Developer Talk