Not current screensaver after install (MS Spyware warnings)

Post your questions and problem reports here

Not current screensaver after install (MS Spyware warnings)

Postby Octane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:34 pm

Hi,

After installing our screensaver on a Win XP SP2 with MS Antispyware running we get a script alert with choices to ALLOW or BLOCK the screensaver.

Why does this happen I fear that it will scare a lot of people off and prevent complete installs as they hit BLOCK. I have tested several other screensaver maker/installers and none produce warnings during install but we really want to continue with SF3 if possible.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, after install the screensaver does not become the 'current' screensaver in use by Windows, it is in the screensaver list but requires further actions to go and make it the default to run everytime.

Look forward to your comments, many thanks.

Gary
Octane

Postby Karlis » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:15 pm

Thank you for posting this. Additional info is needed in order to process your request.

Do you use flash (swf) in your screensaver? In which step (at which moment) during the setup is the alert displayed by the mentioned spyware tool?

The second problem could not be reproduced. The setup installs the screensaver, pops up the display properties and makes the new screensaver selected.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Octane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:59 pm

Thanks for getting back so soon.

There is no flash in the screensaver.

The alert happens immediately after the final NEXT button is pressed and as the FINISHED button screen appears.

The antispyware tool is Microsofts Windows Antispyware so its in wide use already. It can be downloaded here:

http://g.msn.com/mh_mshp/98765?http://w ... ware+(Beta)&CM=PopularPicks&CE=popDownloads

I think the problem with not making the install the current screensaver is related to the spyware alert, I have tried this on 3 separate machines all XP SP2 with Windows Antispyware and none display the screensaver properties menu after the install and use it as the default.
Please find attached an image of the problem in action:

Octane

Postby Octane » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:04 am

A quick update, I disabled the Microsoft Windows Antispyware on one machine and it works fine, no warnings (obviously) and the screensaver properties appeared with the new screensaver as the default after the intallation. Hopefully we can get a fix for this as MS Antispyware is being offered for free by MS and must be on millions of machines by now and will become the de fecto standard no doubt in the future.
Octane

Postby Karlis » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:12 am

Thank you for this information, I believe it will be wery helpful.

While we are researching the problem in order to find a solution (which can take a few weeks), I would suggest you to include information about this problem on your web site and in the screensaver's readme text and/or any other docummentation.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Karlis » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:59 pm

The problem is now being fixed. The nearest update will include the correction.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Octane » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:40 pm

Many thanks, looking forward to it.

G
Octane

Postby Karlis » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:36 am

Version 3.5 available. Please try it out and post your feedback regarding this problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support