are png's supported

Post your questions and problem reports here.

are png's supported

Postby cbailey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:58 pm

I made a small icon at the left side of a rectangle in Photoshop and saved it as a png. I want to have the text from Easy button Maker at the right side of the icon. When I open the button in EBM the transparency is gone and the text is hidden behind white. So does EBM recognize png's? Or what am I doing wrong?
cbailey

Re: are png's supported

Postby bleau » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:47 pm

I've never used png's because they never worked for me on just about anything. I can't answer your question for you but I use jpg's and gifs and never had any problems with them.
bleau

Postby cbailey » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm using png because I want the transparency saved. I have an icon on the left and the rest of the button is supposed to be transparent. In other words, an icon, the text and no background. But EBM seems to fill in the background with white. That's why I'm asking if png's are supported.
cbailey

Postby bleau » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:20 am

I understand what you're saying. I think if someone doesn't jump in here with an answer soon I would suggest you send in a support ticket.
The guys are pretty good about getting back to you as soon as possible.

Sounds like you have in interesting project going there.
bleau

Postby Aivars » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:10 pm

PNGs are supported but it's possible that Photoshop has applied some kind of optimization that Easy Button & Menu Maker doesn't understand. Please try to save the PNG as 32-bit alpha, that should work. In either case you can send the PNG in question to support (http://www.blumentals.net/support/wizard.php) and we'll check if there is some bug.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby cbailey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:43 am

I don't know how to save something as a "32 bit alpha." I don't see that choice anywhere in Photoshop. Can you point me to it? I saved it as a 32 png and that didn't work. The icon part shows up but when I add the text in EBM it goes behind whatever the background color is of the work window. So no transparency.
cbailey

Postby Aivars » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Can you send me the project file using the link above?
Aivars

Postby cbailey » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:29 am

I have sent the file to the link you mentioned. Hope you find it.
cbailey

Postby Aivars » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:01 pm

I understand the issue now, thanks for the project file and actually it's not a bug.

What you're trying to do is to write text outside of the image that defines the shape of the button. This is not possible in EBMM because normally the text that is written partially out of the button bounds looks sloppy. Your situation is somewhat different, since you're trying to write all text out of the button shape, but even so, that probably won't look good on a page background. The buttons have to look like buttons so that visitors of your page clearly see that they are clickable, so I recommend using some kind of image that envelops the text and seems button-like.

Anyway, there are some options to get the desired effect, if you want the icon-text style:
1) If page background is single color, instead of transparent images use the color for image background;
2) Use almost-transparent background (some color with really low opacity setting);
3) Create PNG for each button and draw text on it with Photoshop.
Aivars

Postby cbailey » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:54 am

Thank you for your response and your attention to my questions. I don't quite understand your answer, but I'm working on it. I have maybe a simpler question: Is it possible to just use EBMM to write the words in and not have any background showing? I like using EBMM for the text and the rollover effect, but sometimes I don't want the actual button look. If you look at my nav buttons at this link you will see what I am talking about. And what I was trying to do with my first problem/question was just add a little figure or icon to the left side of the button.
Thanks again for your advice.

www.collettebailey.com
cbailey

Postby Aivars » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:57 pm

For your site you have textured background which means you can't use plain background color for the images. I just found out that workaround 2 won't work because text opacity is adjusted to match background. So your only option is to draw each button fully in Photoshop (draw full button with the icon and text and use it in EBMM).
I'll ask if we can do something abut this for the next version to make using transparent buttons easier.
Aivars

Return to Easy Button & Menu Maker Support