Dual Monitor Support?

Post your questions and problem reports here

Dual Monitor Support?

Postby darrob » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:15 pm

Hi

I'm interested in Screensaver Factory.
I downloaded one of the sample screensavers (Studio Destruct Nature), just to have a look.

I run Windows 7 and my setup has two monitors. One is much larger than the other. The monitors run at different resolutions.
I found that while the screensaver appeared on both monitors, the monitor that runs at a higher resolution had the pictures displayed only on a part of the screen. That is, the picture on the larger monitor was displayed at the resolution of the smaller monitor. this left a strip along the right and the bottom of the screen which displayed the desktop.

Is this a limitation of Screensaver Factory, or is there a way of getting around a situation where there are multiple monitors running at different resolutions?

Cheers...

Darrin
darrob

Re: Dual Monitor Support?

Postby Gatis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:57 am

Hi,
Please try to use the option "Resize to fit screen" (can be found under Options; tab "Item Position").
This should help - at least all works fine in my test environment (although I am not running Windows 7).
Kind regards,
Gatis Avots
Gatis
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby darrob » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:02 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I had to download a different screensaver to get to those settings.
I downloaded Fantasy Universe Screensaver and had a go. I used the settings you suggested.
The problem has now shifted.
The Larger display show up OK, but the smaller display has the picture scaled (why, I don't know). Similar to what I first talked about, I now get a black border to the right and bottom of the monitor.

The larger monitor is running at 1600*1200
The smaller monitor is running at 1280*1024

I would upload an image (taken with a camera) to illustrate the problem, but this forum does not allow it

*Edit

Just a quick note
When the screensaver first starts, the first picture gets displayed on the smaller monitor and everything is OK
The second picture gets displayed on the larger monitor and all is fine
The third picture gets displayed on the smaller monitor and is scaled.

Something which may have a bearing:

Windows 7 (*for some reason) has set the smaller monitor as monitor no. 1 (This is strange, as on boot/POST, all output goes to the larger monitor)
The larger monitor is set as monitor no. 2. The larger monitor is set as my main display.

When bringing up the setting for the screensaver, the window automatically opens up on the smaller monitor even though it is not set as the main display.

I hope this is clear/meaningful/helpful

Cheers...

Darrin
darrob

Postby Karlis » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:44 pm

Yes, this can be because back then when samples were created there was indeed a problem with differently sized monitors. I believe it has been resolved.

Did you actually do a trial run of the current version?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby darrob » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 am

Hi Karlis

No, I have only tried with the samples.

However, I have actually overcome the issue.

As I pointed out, for some reason Windows 7 set the smaller monitor as Monitor number one, even though POS etc goes to my larger monitor.
I swapped the plugs on my graphics card, and then re-set windows so that the larger monitor came up as monitor number one. After that, the screensavers work just fine.

Weird.

I'll have a look at the software now see how it goes.

Cheers...

Darrin
darrob

Postby Karlis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:37 pm

In any case, if you notice anything weird, let us know.

Last time I tested it on multi-monitor XP system with different resolutions, it worked fine. I hope it is still the case, because having one to change plugs is not a cool workaround :)
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby bredhedden1 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 am

what does multi-monitor XP has ? let me know its features ?
bred hedden
bredhedden1

Return to Screensaver Factory Support