File download does not open reading software

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

File download does not open reading software

Postby rickduley » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:38 am

Yesterday, this line of code allowed me to click where requested in the website and have the file open in the appropriate software.

<li>2.4 Using Dynamic Blocks - Door Cavities Drawing (<a href="./dwg/Door Cavities.dwg">Click Here</a>)</li>

Today, I get IE10 open with a message that IE has restricted me from running scripts or AcitveX controls.

Even allowing blocked content leaves me with a blank IE screen.

The target file is in the right place and the naming is correct.
What I want to happen is that the user will click where indicated and the Drawing will open in AutoCAD. As I say, it worked yesterday. Today it is on strike.
Can someone tell me what is wrong with my code?

Thanks
"Atheism is a non-prophet organization."
George Carlin
rickduley

Re: File download does not open reading software

Postby MikeyB » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:16 am

Hello,

(I've moved your thread to "Web Developer Talk" as it doesn't seem to be related to any Blumentals software, but a general website question)

In these situations the first thing to try is another browser, or if possible another computer.
The little snippet of code you posted looks correct, so shouldn't be a problem there, but it's always possible that it is some previous code that is causing the problem.

If you can't try another browser or computer, you could always post a link to your problem page here.
I don't have IE10 or AutoCAD, but can at least can take a look and check the code is correct.

Cheers,
Mike
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Postby rickduley » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:29 am

Here is the troublesome webpage.
http://rickduley.webs.com/Elementary_Resources.html
The code is verified HTML 4.1.

The mp4 videos this code calls open in Windows Media Player which is my default for mp4.
The DWG files should open in AutoCAD, did a couple of days ago, don't now. Same results with the local version.
George Carlin
rickduley

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:19 pm

I clicked on one of the dwg files and received Not Found error, that means your files don't exist on your server or the links are wrong.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby rickduley » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:11 am

My mistake! Mea maxima culpa! :oops:

You are right - the required files are not on that site.
The code for the offending webpage is now though, and that is the issue at hand.
http://www.freewebs.com/rickduley/Elementary_Resources-Code.txt

Perhaps that will help people solve the original question which is why AutoCAD drawing files on the CAD site do not open in AutoCAD.

Thanks
George Carlin
rickduley

Postby MikeyB » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:15 am

Hello,

Your original link is now a 404 not found, so I guess you've taken the page down.
But I took a look at your source code in the other link and didn't see anything obviously wrong, so put it into the HTML validator at http://validator.w3.org/ and there are no problems with your code.

So the if the .dwg files are in the correct place and are not giving a 404 not found error, then the problem must lie with settings on your computer.
There is nothing that can be done in your HTML code that tells your browser or computer what to do with the files once downloaded.

As you say you are using IE10 you must be using Windows 7 or 8.
If you double-click a .dwg file that is local on your computer does this still open in AutoCAD?
MikeyB
Top Contributor

Return to Web Developer Talk