DocBlock support

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Do you need support for DocBlocks

Yes, I really need it!
64%
Yes, would be great but I can live without
18%
No, would never use it
18%

Total votes : 11

DocBlock support

Postby Manko10 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:40 pm

Hello,

I would suggest to improve WeBuilder (and of course RapidPHP) integrating support for phpDocumentor Blocks. This is an JavaDoc like API documentation syntax which allows you do specify information about classes, functions/methods and properties like a short and a long description, parameters and their data types, the return type and so on. Also license, author, date and many other more or less important things are possible to define.
Currently classes and functions defined by the programmer are inserted into the autocompletation popup but it's not that informative as the codehints for native PHP functions are because the data types and a short description are missing. So it would be great if you could add DocBlock support to WeBuilder (phpDocumentor and Doxygen).
But there is one big problem: it doesn't make sense if only the current document's API is analysed (by the way, I think API analysis - whether with or without DocBlock support - is useless when only the current file is analysed). WeBuilder had to have a look at included and required files too but that could be very negative for the program's performance. For this I have two possible resolutions:

• The user can specify the depth of recursion
  • WeBuilder can use an internal database for the project's API which is much quicker than analysing the files every time

I don't know how other great IDEs solve this problem but they do it so I think it's possible. ;)
Such a feature would make developing much more efficient. Additional a new tool window should be added in which I can view a compiled version of a specific function's API documentation including its long description and all other information, not only the data types and the short description which are shown in the autocompletation popup (e.g. how eclipse and Zend Studio do it).

What do you mean? Would that be a great feature?

Greetings
Manko10
Manko10

Re: DocBlock support

Postby schrencki » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:08 pm

This feature would be invaluable to any reasonable sized project and as other tools ( for example eclipse ) support this but not particularly well, it would be a feature that would be received very well by the industry I suspect.
schrencki

Postby Manko10 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:26 pm

Sorry for pushing this, but I'm interested in what the developers think about this feature. Does it have a chance to become implemented?
Manko10

Postby tom_r » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:04 pm

This feature would be invaluable for every developer. Are there any plans to implement it?
tom_r

Postby Aivars » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:10 am

It's not always easy to guess which files are used by PHP projects as you can imagine. To solve this problem Webuilder allows specifying Library Paths (paths containing libraries with classes and functions you want to see in auto-complete). To specify them go to your Project Properties > Library Paths.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby tom_r » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:41 pm

But what i I really miss in Webuilder:
When I make comments in DocBlock format with short description, the description should be visible in the codehints.
tom_r

Postby connect-technologies » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:57 pm

tom_r wrote:But what i I really miss in Webuilder:
When I make comments in DocBlock format with short description, the description should be visible in the codehints.

yes, why is this not working?
connect-technologies

Postby Aivars » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:49 am

docblockhints.png
docblockhints.png (9.78 KiB) Viewed 10479 times
Aivars

Postby connect-technologies » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:38 pm

Hi,

yes thats nice. But it would be very cool to see the @params too! :)

christopher
connect-technologies

Postby connect-technologies » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:31 pm

in 14.1.0.185 this still does not work.
Any ideas if there is a planned time for this?
connect-technologies

Postby pmk65 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:44 am

I agree. It would be very useful to see the @param in the hinting.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Aivars » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:19 pm

I'm a little afraid that the tooltip would get too huge eventually and start covering too much code, if stuff keeps being added to it. I'll add it to suggestions and we'll think about it.
Aivars

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests