Cursor skip behaviour in HTMLPad 2010

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Cursor skip behaviour in HTMLPad 2010

Postby Sue » Wed May 19, 2010 10:59 pm

Hi there, I've been using HTMLPad 2008 for a long time on Windows XP. I've just upgraded to Windows7 and figured I'd upgrade to HTMLPad 2010 as well.

I notice the cursor skip behaviour is different between versions. In HTMLPad 2008, if I use Ctrl + right arrow while editing text, the cursor skips to the first character of the next word. But in HTMLPad 2010, it skips to the last character of each word.

How can I change the cursor skip in HTMLPad 2010 so it always goes to the first character of the next word instead of the last character?
Sue

Re: Cursor skip behaviour in HTMLPad 2010

Postby Karlis » Mon May 24, 2010 12:01 am

I am afraid that this is not possible at the present moment. Though I must also say that the behavior is suspicious and probably must be changed back since I do not remember us changing it intentionally.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Sue » Mon May 24, 2010 2:58 am

Thanks Karlis. Has no one else reported it? I do a lot of editing and I'm used to the version 2008 behaviour, so I noticed it right away after installing version 2010.
Sue

Postby davenz » Sun May 30, 2010 2:10 am

This happens in WeBuilder too and I thought it had been intentionally changed, which is why I didn't mention it. I only recently discovered it anyway, while using Word, though now I find I use it a lot. I thought perhaps there was another key combination that places the cursor at the front of the word and another to place it at the end and that changing it brought it into line with convention. I have since gotten used to hitting the control and arrow keys until near where I want to be then another right arrow press to get me to the start of the next word. I don't really mind it either way as I can change back relatively quickly, but I can see it would be a real annoyance to those who already rely on the key combination in their editing work.

Dave
davethompson.co.nz
davenz

Postby Sue » Sun May 30, 2010 3:48 am

Thanks Dave... glad I'm not the only one who noticed this.

I do a lot of editing, and using Ctrl + right arrow to go to the start of the next word is second nature to me. Other applications (like Word) work that way too, so it's been frustrating trying to get work done in HTMLPad 2010.

However, I can't get version 2008 to copy/paste properly into a browser text box -- it pastes whatever I last copied outside of HTMLPad (like a Word doc). This happens in both Firefox and IE, but for some reason I can paste from HTMLPad into Notepad just fine. So I have to copy/paste from HTMLPad --> Notepad --> browser text box. (I'm working on a project that uses a web-based CMS and there's no other way to upload stuff, unfortunately.) HTMLPad 2010 copy/pastes without any problem, though.

So either I use version 2008 but have to copy/paste to Notepad every time... or I use version 2010 and get frustrated with the cursor skip behaviour. Just can't win! Starting to think I should have stayed with WinXP instead of upgrading to Win7. :D
Sue

Postby davenz » Sun May 30, 2010 6:41 am

I doubt whether Windows 7 has anything to do with it. Have you tried WeBuilder? I found it much better than HTMLPad, though I imagine it shares a good amount of the code so the feature set is almost identical (for html anyway).

I have used both programs on Windows XP, Vista and 7 and have noticed no difference between any of them. Whatever is causing the issue, it would indeed be a pain in the rear after using the shortcut key for so long. Mind you, it must also be a real headache for Karlis and the team to have to backtrack on what has been done recently to have caused the change in the first place, then finding a way of undoing it without breaking all the new features that have been introduced. Good times!

Dave
davethompson.co.nz
davenz

Postby Karlis » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:51 pm

The problem with this cursor behavior apparently is that we have improved Shift + Ctrl + Arrow to include text up to the last word or dot and not include the space, and somehow this transferred also to simple Ctrl + Arrow, still Sue seems to be the only one concerned with this which means either nobody cares or uses this or that all others are satisfied. Comments are welcome.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby TBear » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:46 am

Heavens, the last post on this subject was in 2010. I've been slowly moving over from my discontinued version of TopStyle to my old version of WeBuilder 2014 and have been really uncomfortable with the ctrl-right arrow problem.
Has that been changed in a more recent version? If not would it be possible to provider users with an option that allows the 2014 way OR ctrl arrow to front of word?
-={TBear}=-
TBear

Postby Aivars » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 am

I don't think anyone has asked about this in years. I doubt we will change this behavior now since our users are used to it and changing it will affect their workflow. But if it turns out that secretly everybody is hating it, let us know. I'm using ctrl + arrow all the time during coding and I honestly like the current behavior better - it allows quickly getting to either beginning or end of the word, whichever I need.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support