Rapid - Eliminate Manual Syntax Check Dialog

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Rapid - Eliminate Manual Syntax Check Dialog

Postby Will Fastie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:52 pm

When responding to a request for a manual syntax check, eliminate the completion dialog when there are no errors. Instead, place a green message ("No syntax errors found.") in the status bar where syntax error messages are usually displayed.

Only show the dialog when a manual check reveals an error. In that case, also show the error in the status bar in red.

If feedback is desired so that the user always knows when the syntax check is complete, pop up a "Working" or "Please Wait" dialog during the check and close it when done. The user will quickly come to understand that the absence of a completion message means that no syntax errors were found.

This change will result in the following improvements:
  • There will be no delay after a manual syntax check because the user will not have to dismiss the dialog when there are no errors.
  • All syntax check messages will appear in the same place whether generated from a manual or automatic syntax check.
  • On manual checks, the user will still be delayed when there is an error, which may be desirable.
  • After a detected error and after the user dismisses the dialog, the error will persist in the status bar until the next syntax check runs.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Re: Rapid - Eliminate Manual Syntax Check Dialog

Postby Aivars » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:58 pm

I like the idea and I'm writing the down. The final decision will be made by those who are better and more experienced at designing UX than me.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Re: Rapid - Eliminate Manual Syntax Check Dialog

Postby Will Fastie » Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:55 pm

I have some additional thoughts about this. I have been using publishing in Rapid more frequently (I'll explain that if necessary) and I have a new workflow.

Because I don't maintain local environments for the sites I build, I usually test online. One of my goals is to eliminate syntax errors on the live site. Therefore, I perform a manual syntax check almost every time I publish a file. This makes my workflow:
  • Edit.
  • Manually run syntax check.
  • Dismiss syntax check completion dialog.
  • Publish (i.e., save and publish, not Save to FTP).

The completion dialog creates an extra step. What I would prefer is:
  • Edit.
  • Publish.

This could work in several ways.
  • Syntax check could always run on file save, so syntax check would run on Publish by default.
  • Syntax check would be unnecessary on Publish because my previous suggestion (Automatic Syntax Check on Cursor Movement) would have caught everything anyway.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests