RAPID - File Shown as Changed Upon Open

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

RAPID - File Shown as Changed Upon Open

Postby Will Fastie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Sometimes Rapid marks a file as changed (by displaying the asterisk in the file's tab) even though it has not been changed. This means closing the file requires dismissing the file save dialog, which pops up if a file has been changed.

I'm not sure how this state is achieved or whether it is something in particular files that causes the problems. Here is what I have noticed.

I open a file normally and Rapid does not indicate it has changed. I place the cursor in the file or make a text selection and Rapid marks the file as changed even though nothing has actually changed. Then I close the file, telling Rapid not to save the file. The next time I open the file it is marked changed upon opening, without my having taken any action at all.

Through experimentation, I found this workaround. I open a file that I know Rapid will mark as changed. I then place the cursor at the very top, before the first character. I then close the file without saving it. When I open it again, rapid does not show the file as changed.

I do not think this happens with every file and I suspect there is something about certain files that causes the problem. I cannot duplicate this problem with any file. I can reproduce the problem because I know of a few files for which this problem always occurs.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Re: RAPID - File Shown as Changed Upon Open

Postby pmk65 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pm

In the Preferences->File->General, do you have the "Open ANSI files as UTF-8 without BOM" checkbox ticked?

As then it will open ANSI encoded files in UTF-8 format. So when you place the cursor in the editorfield it "translates" the encoding and the file will appear as "modified"
Once you save it, it will be in UTF-8 format and you will not see the problem again. (Sounds like that's what happens to your files)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:09 pm

Peter,

I do not have the "Open ANSI files as UTF-8 without BOM" option ticked.

In my case the origin of the PHP files is Microsoft Expression Web (and FrontPage 2003 before it). EW sets a BOM on all file types except PHP by default and of course I've been using that setting since its inception. In short, none of my PHP files have a BOM.

Thanks.
Will
Will
Will Fastie

Postby pmk65 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:51 pm

Hi Will.

Could you try sending me one of the files where you experience that behavior.?
Then I could see if the same happens to me. (I use WeBuilder, but that shouldn't matter)
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:33 pm

I've done some more experimenting.

I titled this thread "...Changed Upon Open" and that has definitely happened. It does not always happen. Sometimes it happens when I open a file and then navigate around it to read code.

Today I tried to see if I could induce the problem with an arbitrary file. It turns out I can make it happen with almost any file. I open the file, then I just use the up and down cursor keys to move through the file. Eventually the file will be marked as changed even though the only action has been to move the cursor around. I sometimes have to move the cursor a lot but so far I have been able to make this happen on any PHP file.

I can also make it happen by clicking randomly through the file. I'm careful to test without accidentally adding characters.

Therefore, it is not related to any specific file.

If I had any stray BOMs in the PHP files, I'd be getting visible errors. I just can't see how this is related to a BOM.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby pmk65 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:19 am

Do you have the checkbox "Remove trailing spaces and tabs" ticked?
That could explain why it appeared after you move the cursor from line to line. As that might be triggering the "cleanup"
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:48 am

Yes, I do.

But I can force the behavior by placing the cursor at the beginning of a line and then just moving it up and down with the arrow keys. I don't do anything that might force the cursor into blank space except, of course, on blank lines.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby Will Fastie » Mon May 14, 2018 4:42 pm

This remains a problem in Rapid 2018. Of the little problems that annoy me with Rapid, this is by far the worst.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby Aivars » Tue May 15, 2018 10:31 am

If it's removing blank spaces at the end of the lines while navigating over these lines then it's working as intended. It will remove the trailing spaces as soon as you go over the lines containing them, you don't necessarily have to move to the end of the line to have the unneeded spaces trimmed.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Will Fastie » Tue May 15, 2018 2:11 pm

That explains it.

I turned off "Remove trailing spaces and tabs." I will try working that way for a time, but already I have not been able to reproduce the problem.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby Will Fastie » Thu May 17, 2018 3:14 pm

I have given this a lot of thought.

I do not believe it is appropriate for the IDE to mark a file changed on its own accord. The file should only be changed by direct action of the user. If all I am doing is looking around in a particular file, for example to read some code, there is no reason for the IDE to apply the "Remove trailing spaces & tabs" rule. That rule, if enabled, should only apply once the user has decided to edit the file by actually making a change.

Making this small change will prevent the changed indicator from displaying without there having been a user-initiated change.
Will
Will Fastie

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support