GUI Scaling on High DPI Screen (Surface Pro 4)

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

GUI Scaling on High DPI Screen (Surface Pro 4)

Postby Multicoder » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:14 am

Hi there,

when I open WeBuilder16 on my Microsoft Surface Pro 4, the GUI is too small in most cases and in a few cases it is a bit too big.
I use the latest version of WeBuilder16 14.1.0.185 (will there be a WeBuilder17?)

Here is a Screenshot where I marked most of the GUI Elements that are not resized correctly (the Zoom in Windows is set to 200%).
Orange/Red means the Elements are way too small.
Yellow means the Elements are a bit too big.

Screenshot: http://imgur.com/a/b8051

Best regards,
Daniel
Multicoder

Re: GUI Scaling on High DPI Screen (Surface Pro 4)

Postby Aivars » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:24 pm

Hello, as we are also Surface Pro 4 users we are painfully aware of this problem and we are looking for a solution. For now, you can improve the main toolbar by right-clicking it -> Customize -> Options -> Large items.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Multicoder » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:05 am

Great! Thank you very much for that hint! Much less eye-pain now :D
Multicoder

Postby Multicoder » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:53 pm

Hey,
sorry to dig this thread up again, but I just found out (due to a YT Video of GameFromScratch) that there is a better built in scaling for high DPI screens in Windows 10, now.
Just right click on the webuilder.exe, go to the compatibility tab, check the checkbox near "Override high DPI scaling..." and select "System (Enhanced)" in the select-box below.
When I first started webuilder after changing this, it crashed. I clicked on "close application" in the dialog, started it again and now it's running all fine with proper scaling! :mrgreen:

Here is the YT Video in case you are interested (the fixing begins at roughly 5:30) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO4v_c6-hk0
Multicoder

Postby Aivars » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:22 pm

The upcoming version will be using big icons for higher DPIs automatically (we had to change and redraw all of our icons to make this possible) and larger themes for things like document tab close buttons etc. If you use Windows built-in scaling, it will only fix the text, everything else will be blurry, so I see it as a last-resort solution only.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support