Add Project Open Dialog & Icon

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Add Project Open Dialog & Icon

Postby Will Fastie » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:21 pm

My list of projects will be getting quite long. I'm expecting this to cause a problem at some point when I attempt to open a project and am presented with a context menu that is taller than the display.

I would like to see an Open button added to the project dialog.

I would also like an icon button in the File Explorer's toolbar, next to the Projects button, that opens this dialog directly. This would be a one-click equivalent to clicking Projects on the toolbar and then clicking Manage Projects. I realize that I can add the Manage Projects item to a custom toolbar or that I could use the Projects toolbar. However, I'd like to to be able to perform basic project tasks from the File Explorer, which in my context is actually a "Project Explorer."
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Re: Add Project Open Dialog & Icon

Postby Aivars » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:58 pm

You can use Project -> Go To Project dialog which is designed specifically for people with lots of projects. You can look up the project quickly by typing its partial name.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Will Fastie » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:10 pm

Yes, I have the Goto Project... item on my custom toolbar. I wish it had an icon and I wish I could put it on the toolbar of the File Explorer.

But I'd still like to see the extra button on the projects dialog.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby pmk65 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:07 am

Will Fastie wrote:I wish it had an icon and I wish I could put it on the toolbar of the File Explorer.

In a plugin you can "clone" the existing command and add an icon, like this:

Plugin code:
Code: Select all
function GotoProject() {
    Actions.Execute("ActProjectGoto");
}

var bmp = new TBitmap, act;
LoadFileToBitmap(Script.Path + "gotoproject_icon.png", bmp);
act = Script.RegisterDocumentAction("", "Goto Project", "", "GotoProject");
delete bmp;

This is similar to what I did in my Word Wrap/Block Select Mode Toggle plugin.

You can run this small code snippet to list all the available action codes ("Act*")

Code: Select all
function ListActions() {
    var al = Actions.List, out = "";
    for (var i=0;i<Length(al);i++) {
        out += al[i] + chr(13);
    }
   Editor.SelText = out;
}
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Aivars » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:49 am

There are easier ways to change an icon. Right click toolbar, select Customize. While Customize dialog is open, right click the Goto Project item and select Change Icon.

gotoprojecticon1.png
gotoprojecticon1.png (42.3 KiB) Viewed 4159 times

Pick an image and enjoy the final result.

gotoprojecticon2.png
gotoprojecticon2.png (6.35 KiB) Viewed 4159 times
Aivars

Postby Aivars » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:51 am

Unfortunately there is no way to put it on File Explorer toolbar currently though, sorry.
Aivars

Postby Will Fastie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:54 pm

Aivars wrote:There are easier ways to change an icon. Right click toolbar, select Customize. While Customize dialog is open, right click the Goto Project item and select Change Icon.

I think I'm starting to forget more things than I'm learning. Thanks for the reminder.
Will
Will Fastie

Postby Will Fastie » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:11 pm

pmk65 wrote:In a plugin you can...

You really are the master of the plugin.

It is obviously second nature to you but it's a huge climb for me. I can't afford the time to learn the Blumentals environment well enough to come up with these clever ideas on my own.

I have one plugin installed - Close All Files on Project Switch. Again I say thank you for that.

I know you have followed many of my posts here and from that you can see I have focused on two major areas - the editor and project management. In both these areas, I think it is important that Rapid out of the box supports the features, not that they be added with plugins. Because I handle so many different Web sites, a clean and comprehensive project manager is essential to my work.
Will
Will Fastie

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests