Bug: WeBuilder inserts *wrong* HTML tags for bold and italic

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Bug: WeBuilder inserts *wrong* HTML tags for bold and italic

Postby pmk65 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:45 pm

When clicking the "B" or "I" icons in the HTML Formatting Toolbar, WeBuilder inserts <b></b> and <i></i> tags.
This should instead be be <strong></strong> and <em></em> tags to follow the HTML 5 specs.
Also there's 2 HTML 5 tag for strike-through: <del></del> and <s></s>. The last one also seems to be missing in WeBuilders HTML def.

Note: According to the HTML 5 specification, the <b> tag should be used as a LAST resort when no other tag is more appropriate. The HTML 5 specification states that headings should be denoted with the <h1> to <h6> tags, emphasized text should be denoted with the <em> tag, important text should be denoted with the <strong> tag, and marked/highlighted text should use the <mark> tag.
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Re: Bug: WeBuilder inserts *wrong* HTML tags for bold and it

Postby FrankC » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 pm

OK, but the specs also say that there still is a role for <i> and <b>. For example:

<p>The editors of the <i>New York Times</i> have proven on several occasions that it is not <em>they</em> who compromise the truth, but Donald Trump himself.</p>
FrankC

Postby Aivars » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:19 pm

Check out Preferences -> Language Options -> HTML. I think we tried to make them default at one point but that didn't go well. You can enable them for yourself, of course.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby pmk65 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Aivars wrote:Check out Preferences -> Language Options -> HTML. I think we tried to make them default at one point but that didn't go well. You can enable them for yourself, of course.

Thanks. :oops:
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.
pmk65

Postby Will Fastie » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:04 am

Aivars wrote:I think we tried to make them default at one point but that didn't go well.

My memory is a bit faint on this but I believe MS Expression Web used strong and em as the defaults dating from 2010. It is the HTML 5 recommendation and at this point it probably should be the default.

But it is easy to set; I changed it in the first week of using Rapid.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
Will Fastie

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support