Uninstall screensaver does not uninstall

Post your questions and problem reports here

Uninstall screensaver does not uninstall

Postby Sergej » Sat May 06, 2006 7:18 pm

Hi,

I am evaluating the trial enterprise version with the intend to purchase. I like what I have seen so far, better than most other SS creation programs I have tested.

One problem I have with SS Factory is that if I create an installer package and install the screensaver, and then try to uninstall it, all it does is remove the desktop shortcut and windows menu items. The physical folder and its contents created in Program Files during installation is NOT removed (the folder is left with the actual .scr file and the readme.txt). Also, the SS Factory registry entries (HKEY_CURRENT_USER) are NOT removed.

In fact, after uninstall, the screensaver is still set as the default saver and 100% functional.

Another problem I have with the uninstall feature is that no confirmation like 'uninstall complete' is given.

Can anyone shed some light on this? If I am to create 'professional' screensavers with an 'enterprise' edition, a crippled uninstall process is a show stopper.

System used: Win XP Pro English (US) SP2, current patchlevel, user used to create/install/uninstall screensaver package has admin rights.

Thanks! - Sergej
Sergej

Postby Karlis » Mon May 08, 2006 10:44 pm

Right you are, there have bene noticed uninstall problems on some computers and we are working to correct the problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

OK

Postby Sergej » Mon May 08, 2006 11:26 pm

Could you notify me when the new code is available? If you need someone to test it out, I'd be glad to help (can test install / uninstall on WinXP Pro, Win 2000 Pro only, both US English).

thanks,

Sergej
Sergej

Postby Karlis » Wed May 10, 2006 1:05 am

We are planning to release the fixed version by Friday, but to be very sure, please download it next Monday (May 15), it should be online by then.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Sergej » Tue May 16, 2006 8:52 am

Downloaded new version (4.11) today, tried out the uninstaller and the problem is only half-fixed;

My installer creates folder E:\Program Files\screensaver\ , which has the screensaver file, a readme.txt and the uninstall. E is the Windows XP home drive.

Uninstall does remove the contents of the folder that was created, so the .scr, readme and uninstall are removed.

However, the (empty) screensaver folder remains after uninstall. Also, the Screensaver Factory registry entries created under HKEY_CURRENT_USER are not removed.

Last but not least, a confirmation dialog box 'uninstall complete' has not been implemented.

Will these be fixed any time soon?

thanks,

Sergej
Sergej

Postby Karlis » Tue May 16, 2006 4:18 pm

We decided currently it would make sense to leave the folder, because user might have copied some files or installed some other screensavers there later and deleting the folder could destroy users file. After all empty folder does not take any disk space.

What do you think?

Registry settings are not removed in case user decides to re-install the screensaver, also please note that for shareware screensavers it is essential to keep usage (trial days) data in the registry, otherwise it is not possible to track the trial.

Uninstall complete box is planned for future releases. We will be updating the software every one or two months, so this will get implemented with the next version, be it 4.12 or 4.2
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support