F2 Question

Post your questions and problem reports here

F2 Question

Postby Sergej » Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:56 am

Hi,

I just purchased Screensaver Factory Pro, and by looking at some sample screensavers I noticed that when you press F2 while the screensaver runs, the current picture is set as the desktop background. Is there a way to disable that?

If not, can I submit that as an urgent enhancement request? The F2 'feature' (which is not described anywhere as far as I could see) makes image theft a lot easier, and I don't like that since my savers will contain original work.

thanks,

Sergej
Sergej

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:08 am

Unfortunately, its just 'another' keystroke which already exists - if a screensaver is running and the user presses PRT SCR, then the screen is copied to the clipboard. This is part of Windows, and will be valid no matter what screensaver is running. The F2 within SFP just 'enhances' this existing feature.

Disabling the F2 won't stop people being able to nick your images.

Have you watermarked the images with your name / website? While the screensaver is running, this also provides advertising, in case someone else sees the screen (as thats the purpose of the 'saver - to run when you're not around) so they know where they can get hold of the saver.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

RE: F2 Question

Postby Sergej » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:13 am

I see. I tested PRSCR and indeed, it made a copy of the screen. The difference is that with F2 the actual high-res image is saved to the disk (windows folder), which can be used as a standalone image. So all one would need to do is F2, save the pic from the windows folder, and do the same for the other 50 pics in the saver, and they'll have an instant collection of high-res images that can be used for any purpose, with very little effort. I might as well give the images away in that case.

With PRSCR one has to do some editing - though if you use (almost) full screen pics that should not be too hard either....

FYI - another screensaver creation package I tried (easyscreensaver.com) does not print the screen when I press PRSCR - so I guess they somehow disabled that.

The thing is that the screensaver I am trying to make contains photography work. On my site I also sell prints of the same images. If people can print their own, then I won't be selling prints and I would have to make the screensaver more expensive, and people will be less interested, etc...

Unless like you suggest I add a watermark to the images used in the screensaver - I am afraid though that if I do that, people won't be interested in the screensaver - at least not for money.

Maybe if the price is relatively low they would. Or maybe I should use the screensaver as an advertising vehicle for the site itself?

Choices choices...I need to find a compromise...
Sergej

and ...

Postby Sergej » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:21 am

Another thing I forgot to mention:

If you apply a mask to the images in the saver (like one of the cool borders included in the saver), and you do a print screen, the whole screen is captured, as usual. In this case that would include the masked image which would be less suitable for printing etc.

However, if you create a masked images screensaver, and press F2, it extracts the complete original image (without mask) from the screensaver and saves it to the windows folder.

That's why I need F2 disabled. I can live with print screen.
Sergej

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:16 am

I guess as its a 'Karlis' inclusion, it should also be optional thing. Feel free to add this in the request forum - if might get added to the wishlist, and if other people 'vote' for it too, it will get higher priority.
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

One more reason

Postby Sergej » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:26 am

One more reason why I need F2 disabled:

- if I create a shareware version with a nag overlay screen, and press F2 while the screensaver runs, a clean full image is extracted and set as the desktop, and as mentioned before, saved to disk as a high-res image. A user could simply extract all images and create his own MS Windows slideshow screensaver with these images. A print screen would not work in that case since the nag overlay text would spoil the image.

I think this (F2 - set as desktop background) is a major flaw in the shareware creation process, it essentially nullifies it. It renders the software I just purchased useless....

Can I expect a quick fix for this?

thanks!

Sergej
Sergej

Postby Karlis » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:22 pm

As I promised for Sergej (especially for him), I will provide him with a custom version for now (no F2 feature). In the future we will try to make this optional.

PrintScreen should not work while screensaver is running, I tested and it did not work here.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby rincewind » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:21 pm

I'd be interested in getting a copy of that custom package. I'm also a photographer and I'm not crazy about people being able to dump images to the desktop like that.

Thanks,
Peter
rincewind

Postby Karlis » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:00 pm

rincewind wrote:I'd be interested in getting a copy of that custom package. I'm also a photographer and I'm not crazy about people being able to dump images to the desktop like that.

Thanks,
Peter

If you use Pro edition, this is possible, please drop an e-mail to support[at]blumentals.net, otherwise I hope you have no problems waiting for the official release until October.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support