how to open the configuration window with a shortcut

Post your questions and problem reports here

how to open the configuration window with a shortcut

Postby mcgilles » Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:08 am

I want to try to create a shortcut which will directly open the configuration window for a screensaver created with screensaver wonder 4.3. according to MSDN documentation windows does this in the screensaver properties window by executing the screensaver's .scr file with a "/c" property attached to it. when I create a shortcut to the src file and add the /c command line switch however it just runs the screensaver normally and doesn't bring up the configuration window. How would I go about creating a shortcut to directly open the config window?

also a future improvment suggestion, when making a setup for a screensaver which puts icons on the start menu, it would be nice if it could automatically create a shortcut to the config window so the user doesn't have to go into screensaver properites to adjust the settings.

thanks!
mcgilles

Postby Karlis » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:18 pm

Not sure whether this is possible. If it was, you would have to create a shortcut to "c:\whatever\yourscreensaver.scr" /c

In theory this should work. Does it work when you click the shortcut?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby mcgilles » Wed Dec 13, 2006 8:37 pm

yes, I think it should work. acording to microsoft's documentation that's what iwndows does. it says that when you click the "settings" button in the windows screensaver properties window that windows executes "c:\whatever\yourscreensaver.scr" /c, and the result is the configuration pages pop up. I just tried a couple other combinations of things in my shortcut. each time when I click on the shortcut the switch is ignored, the shortcut executes the screensaver, it begins the slideshow. Now it is possible that the information I got was not accurate, but I thought it was directly from microsoft. if you right click on a screensaver .scr file you notice that there are some options in there, one to preview the screensaver, and one to "configure" the screensaver. so doing this is possible, its just a matter of figuring out what command should do it. naturally windows handles .scr files as a special case so you can't just go into the file types dialog box and look up the command line it uses to execute the "configure" option. as a matter of fact, when you install a screensaver and have the preview shortcut added to your start menu, you can right click on that command, and select configure to go strait there. I just want to be able to create a separate shortcut to do this so its easier for the user to find. If someone at Blumentals has the ability to check the source code for Screensaver wonder/factory, could you look up what command line switches the compiled scr files are designed to respond to? I'll research this some more, for some reason finding this info isn't always easy. I'm starting to think the info I looked at earlier isn't accurate, because the /c switch doesn't work for windows screensavers either.
mcgilles

Postby Karlis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:22 pm

The parameter we call is /C
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Wonder Support