Exitint screensaver not returning to desktop

Post your questions and problem reports here

Exitint screensaver not returning to desktop

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:49 am

Curious if anyone else has had this problem. I created 3 screensavers with version 4.2. Two appear to be working fine (I use all 3 on my systems). One of the 3 I made won't always exit and return to the desktop until a long delay or not at all. It appears to only do this when the screensaver runs for a long time (roughly 2-3 hours or all night. The other two screensavers haven't done this so far. Any ideas why this might be happening?
Tom

Postby chrisjlocke » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Is the hard drive thrashing while there is this 'delay' ?
What operating system is it on?
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Tom » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:13 pm

I am running XP on all my systems. The system appears to be locked up while this is happening. Cntrl-Alt- Delete doesn't even appear to help. I have had to just turn off the computer once or twice because of this happening. I use the screensavers every day and at night I run one all night. I do run a defragmentation utility at about 3am every night and think possibly it could be causing the problem but what happens only seems to affect the one screensaver. I haven't gotten any complaints about it from other users. The hard drive does not seem to be doing anything while this is happening. There is no music in the screensavers or movies, just photos. I really find it odd that it would only happen with one of the screensavers since all are made with screensaver factory and only with this one computer.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Tom

Postby Karlis » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:16 pm

Ok, a couple of questions:

* What are the differences between this and other 2 screensavers in terms of image count and file sizes?

* Does this happen on all your systems or only on one of your PCs?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:52 pm

All 3 screensavers are approximately 29 megs each and all 3 contain between 35-40 photos. So far this has happened only on one computer here. The computer it's happening on is the newest computer I have. It is only about 6 months old. The others are very old AMD (processor) computers which are about 4-5 years old. Also a friend recently told me that the same screensaver I'm having problems with is doing a strange thing on his. It will start running but the task bar at the bottom still appears (also an XP computer) and that his desktop icons actually show through the screensaver images, but he has no problems getting the screensaver to exit. My images are at 1024x768 as well as my desktop settings. I did notice one thing after the last time I had trouble getting the screensaver to exit (it took about 50-60 seconds to exit), I had a program running in a window, which I don't usually do when I run my screensavers. I generally close out all my programs except for my email program which I minimize to the taskbar. Hope this info helps. We are both beginning to think possibly it's a Windows feature (bug) rather than the screensaver itself. Generally I have no problems with any screensavers I make.

Thanks for your help
Tom

Postby Karlis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:29 pm

How often does it happen? Does it happen always with this screensaver?

Try this test - close all programs. And run the screensaver. then open a lot of programs and run the screensaver. What is the difference?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Tom » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:26 am

It appears that this problem only happens when I leave my email program (Mozilla Thunderbird) running on the desktop either full screen or in a window. It does not happen on every use of the screensaver and I've noticed once it has happened with another of the screensavers I have produced. I also run a defrag utility (Diskeeper) at night on this computer and I'm wondering if this could be causing a problem with the screensavers. I will try running the screensavers on the nights Diskeeper runs. I randomly use the screensavers rather than have them start themselves. I have given away my screensavers to other friends and people I work with it appears they are having no problems at all with them. I have closed all my programs on one occasion and disabled diskeeper from running for 48 hours, run the screensaver all night without any problems, so I am really thinking the problem lies somewhere other than the screensavers or your software. I do appreciate the help you are offering here and am quite impressed with your software and your company.
Tom

Return to Screensaver Factory Support