unable to unlock

Post your questions and problem reports here

unable to unlock

Postby wulf » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:38 am

There is an ongoing problem with unlocking a trail saver with a unique license key.
After the trail period run out. I have used the correct seed # and some of my customers are unable to unlock.
I copy one Email conversation in here to see for your self one unhappy costumer.
The Email and Name Of customer is blanket out for privacy.

To: SDI Graphics
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:43 AM
Subject: key

I am unable to enter my key number **********. Please respond or refund our money.

To: ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 7:39 PM
Subject: Re: key

Hi Bill
Iā€™m sorry for this inconvenience and apologize for the trouble but as clearly stated in the terms of use some problems me occur with some PC configurations.
Now to help you to get the saver running I assume that the trail period has expired?
I like to try a new key first to see if this solves the problem.
User name: Bill
Key : ********
Please let me know if this solves the problem if NOT let me know if you are familiar
With the Registry Editor and be able to ad two string values to the U.S Navy Aircraft screensaver? as a workaround, itā€™s easy to do and I will guide you thru.
If editing the registry for the sever is not an option I will make a new U.S Navy Aircraft screensaver for you with now trail function and E-Mail the install file.exe to you.
Thank you for your pageants
Sincerely S.D.I.Graphics Design W.G

To: SDI Graphics
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 10:32 AM
Subject: Re: key

I am unable to enter the key. An error comes up that says it is illegal. I will uninstall my screen saver and wait for you to send a new exe
Thanks

Hi OK I send the new file as attachment it is a self installing .exe file and the same screensaver you already downloaded.
please uninstall the downloaded version first I hope that this will solve the problem and sorry for the inconvenience.
I have tried the new file on my PC and it worked fine.I hope your E-Mail server is not blocking the attachment.
Please let me know if the new file worked for you.
Last edited by wulf on Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
W.G
wulf

Re: unable to unlock

Postby chrisjlocke » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:19 pm

Rude customer wrote:I am unable to enter my key number **********. Please respond or refund our money.

How rude! Theres no need for that type of response!
(Not that that really helps with your problem!)
chrisjlocke
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:51 pm

Ok, let's take a closer look.

Does this happen often?

Are you really sure that the user is entering the correct password? Did you try entering the user's password yourself? Did it work for you?

Here are possible mistakes:
* Space is added at the end of password while copying, you can't see it, but it makes the whole password different - very common.
* O is confused with 0, I with l and 1 with l

Temporary solution for you would be to send the user custom-built screensaver without a key, however if you manage to reproduce this behavior on your system, please contact us, it might help us solve this rare problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

unable to unlock

Postby wulf » Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:01 am

Hi Karlis
Thank you for your response.
I have been able to produce the same error on my own pc on earlier cases.
For some reason, with unique keys after the trail period has run out the two string value (Name and key) are not added in the registry when unlocking. Why I have not found out jet.
This is why the uninstaller should uninstall the registry entrees for this screensaver also. This is particular imported for reinstalling if something is going wrong.
If the problem reoccurs I will send you the file and user name ā€“ password.
And yes, I did send this customer the same screensaver he downloaded as a custom screensaver and have not heard back from him.
W.G
wulf

Postby Karlis » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:37 pm

Ok, it is good if you can reproduce the problem. Can you do some additional tests with the screensaver whose name and key values are not being written to registry.

1) See if anything at all is saved in registry - maybe the screensaver does not have access to the registry at all.

2) Check if it happens with particular names and keys only or is it a general problem.

I was trying but was unable to reproduce this on any of my computers :?
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support