Does anyone need Code Compare tool?

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Would you really use code compare?

Yes, often
43%
Yes, sometimes
44%
No, I have never used such tools
13%

Total votes : 142

Postby msimonds » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:40 pm

This would be outstanding!!!!!!!! I would love to see this
msimonds

Code compare would be great

Postby Dennis » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:36 am

Hi Karlis,

I believe a file / code compare tool would be a great addon to webuilder and other editors.
I know that alot of tools already exist for this, but I really don't like to have a lot of programmes on my pc, especially if one can do all.

I'd say that you should implements this feature in future versions.

Kind regards,

Dennis
Dennis

code editor compare

Postby clair » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:00 pm

AH YESSSSSSSS!
When I first started using WB, split the screen vertically and saw the preview, I immediately started looking for a way to make the second window show another .htm (or whatever) file. Alas.

Very often I am comparing a section of code between the file I am creating and one that already works. There are often bits of it that have to be changed to reflect different domain, different email, etc.

I cannot tell you how much this would mean to me. And, BTW I *never* use the split window for previewing -- always use the tab -- need to see the whole window.

If you made that second window another text window I would be extremely grateful.

And, I sing praises of WB in every forum I participate in. Thank you very much for a damn near perfect piece of software.
Clair
clair

addendum to prev post

Postby clair » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:04 pm

I forgot to say, for what it is worth, that an actual "code compare" is secondary to the main issue of being able to see two code files at the same time. That would be nice, lagniappe as it were, but just to be able to see two code files is my primary desire.

Thanks much.
Clair
clair

Re: addendum to prev post

Postby syrupcore » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:03 pm

clair wrote:I forgot to say, for what it is worth, that an actual "code compare" is secondary to the main issue of being able to see two code files at the same time. That would be nice, lagniappe as it were, but just to be able to see two code files is my primary desire.

OT: there's no builtin in function to show two specific code pages side by side but...

hide your sidebars (f4 I believe) and then go to window>tile vertically. Pretty useful since windows 3.1 ;)

Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby GiDEoN » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:12 pm

I (or lets say the company I work for) would use this option pretty often, in combination with this feature request http://forums.blumentals.net/viewtopic.php?t=1977 :!:
GiDEoN

Postby Sebastian » Sat May 12, 2007 2:32 am

I would find it really useful for me to have Code Compare feature, in another post I requested "Split view Dual Editors". I use Web Builder as my primary editor because it has such a good user interface, but occassionally revert back to Top Style for this feature.
Sebastian

Postby Cary » Mon May 28, 2007 11:03 pm

I haven't had much use for this, but it would be nice to be able to call up an external, dedicated program as others have suggested.
Cary

Postby moroandrea » Tue May 29, 2007 4:15 pm

I agree with those guys suggested an external tool. Personally I use GrigSoft CompareIt.
It's license is sow low-cost that you could also do a sort of partnership like other vendor does and include in your setup as an external tool to install on request.

Andrea
moroandrea

Too much to put on one window?

Postby albo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:43 am

If I need to compare code snippets, I use Winmerge; then with WeBuilder in another window, I can click back and forth easily (using the Windows status bar) and make my editorial changes...

I've tried split-screen file comparisons in WeBuilder...and things just got too crowded, too much of an eye-full for conscientious editing, IMHO
albo

WinMerge is a good option -- and it's GPL

Postby fuzzylogic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:50 pm

As a result of this conversation, I just tried WinMerge and it works very well.

Perhaps you just need to extend the program interface a bit.

I see how to add a program to the Tools/Launch menu
but I don't see how to pass it a parameter such as the current file path/name.

I also did not find anything at all in the Help about the Launch menu.

I suspect that people would usually want to use the diff program that comes with their VCS.
fuzzylogic

Postby syrupcore » Tue May 06, 2008 4:56 am

Time to de-sticky this thread? 5/05 as well.
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Re: Does anyone need Code Compare tool?

Postby llbbl » Thu May 08, 2008 4:30 pm

UltraCompare by IDM and SVN diff are two tools that are readily available. I would like to see the team focus on other features.
llbbl

Re: WinMerge is a good option -- and it's GPL

Postby ajmaske » Tue May 13, 2008 12:09 am

fuzzylogic wrote:As a result of this conversation, I just tried WinMerge and it works very well.

Perhaps you just need to extend the program interface a bit.

I see how to add a program to the Tools/Launch menu
but I don't see how to pass it a parameter such as the current file path/name.

I also did not find anything at all in the Help about the Launch menu.

I suspect that people would usually want to use the diff program that comes with their VCS.

I've been using WinMerge with very good success...! Depending on the version of WeBuilder your running you would type in "%file" (no quotes) into the Parameters edit box.
Anthony
ajmaske

Re: Does anyone need Code Compare tool?

Postby MikeyB » Tue May 13, 2008 10:46 am

I've been using Beyond Compare for a few years now, and have it setup in WeBuilder as an external program to load the current file, can then simply load another file to do the compare to.
MikeyB
Top Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests