Optimal file size for image

Post your questions and problem reports here

Postby jackie » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:28 am

- What approximate file size for each individual image would you recommend for optimal & smooth transition effects between images in a screensaver created with Screensaver Factory 3 Pro?

- Also, how many images would you recommend inserting into each screensaver produced? I would like to insert the maximum number of images possible but also want the images to load as quickly as possible & have quick, smooth transition effects between images in the screensaver.

- I have my images resized to 1024x768. Is this the optimal resolution you would recommend for images inserted into the screensaver?

- What file size would you recommend for an audio file inserted into the same screensaver? Does a large audio file slow down the loading of the screensaver?

I have downloaded your demo of Screensaver Factory 3 & really like it but the screensaver I've produced seems to have some transition effects which look a bit jumpy & don't change smoothly & quickly. Is it likely that the images I've used are too big or are there some transition settings which I should change?
jackie

Postby Karlis » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:38 pm

There is some info here:
http://forums.blumentals.net/viewtopic.php?t=133

In general, you should use 800x600 or 1024x768 images of JPEG format. You can add as much as you want, but please try to keep your screensaver size below some 10 megabytes.

Some effects are kind of semi-smooth on slower computers. The workaround for you would be is to select only the effects which you like and which are fast on your PC.

As for audio file - it should be no more than some 10 megabytes in size, I would recommend to use one file of size around 5 megabytes or less for the optimum performance or two files of size 3 megabytes or less each or multiple files so that the total size does not exceed some 10 megabytes.

However for most PCs, it should cause no problems or delays to work with higher amounts of data.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby jackie » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:27 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The images I've put into my demo screensaver range in file size from about 240KB to about 500KB each. Is this reasonable, do you think? I would like to achieve the highest quality of image possible. Should I be aiming for a file size for each image of under 300KB?

Cheers,
Jackie
jackie

Postby Karlis » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:32 pm

250 - 500 KB is ok. Although 200 - 300 is a bit better, but not much.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to Screensaver Factory Support