Video compression in SCR?

Post your questions and problem reports here

Video compression in SCR?

Postby balint » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 am

Hi, I just evaluated a couple of screensaver-creating apps and am pretty happy about SSF... The only thing is: When I create an SCR file from different WMV video files (10-20 sec., WMV9, VBR), using random playlist, the quality of the video in the screensaver is considerably lower than the original WMV file (reduced colours etc.). Also, at the bottom of the video, there are artefacts. All this happens in "fit to screen" mode as well as with original video size. Are the video files compressed (the file size of the SCR doesn't suggest that though), or is anything else happening with them, when they're compiled?

Thank you,
balint
balint

Postby Karlis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:08 pm

The video files are not altered in anyway, however please note that if you select "stretch" or "resize" options, the video quality could decrease a little bit. This should not happen with "do not change size", unless there is a problem with default video driver.

Screensaver relies on default video driver for the video format installed in Windows system. If this driver is faulty or poor, the video quality could be lower than that which is observed in Windows Media Player, because media player uses its own drivers.

By default on Windows XP and Vista everything should be ok with drivers unless something has been change.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby tabugman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:29 pm

I have the same problem. I've tried both a SWF with an embedded FLV-file and an uncompressed AVI, which both play with greatly reduced color range and antialiasing.

The screensaver is set not to resize.

Suggestions?
tabugman

Postby bitwise » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:05 pm

Odd, because the quality of our .wmv files within our video savers looks just fine, and we have many that we use. I can't offer much assistance as to why your video files are doing this, but just to let you know that we don't experience this trouble at this time.

You on Vista or XP?

Here's something we are experiencing, though: When using .wmv files, there's a little skip when it's looping. In other words, it's not a completely seemless loop, and there's a slight pause before the video repeats itself again.

Does yours do this, too?
bitwise

Return to Screensaver Factory Support