Find Usage

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

  • Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Find Usage

Postby pety » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:58 am

Find Usage or Find References (in current script or in all project).
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby Will Fastie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:35 pm

Can't you just search?
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
User avatar
Will Fastie
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Timonium, MD USA

Re: Find Usage

Postby connect-technologies » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 am

Will Fastie wrote:Can't you just search?


that is very slow. for me it takes about 1 minute to search my project (~1000 php script files)
connect-technologies
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:54 am

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:43 am

Will Fastie wrote:Can't you just search?

Are you serious?
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby Will Fastie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:32 pm

pety wrote:Are you serious?

Yes, I am serious, because I don't think Rapid has enough metadata on a project to do what you suggest. I think it takes note of definitions but not usage (I could be wrong about that). That's why it can find a definition instantly.

As an experiment, I searched my current project with Rapid PHP 2018, finding 12 instances in just over 1,200 PHP files in 11 seconds. The project is on an SSD, so that may have helped. In the tool I was previously using, that same search took 82 seconds but that tool can't limit the search to just PHP files and thus looked at all 2,473 files.

I'm also serious because in my experience looking for instances is rare. I only do it if I am anticipating a change (such as modifying the arguments of a function or method) or trying to scale a potential change (so many instances that I might not want to take on the change at that moment). If I have to wait a minute to get the results, it's time well spent.

I'm not suggesting that your idea is bad, just that search is a reasonable alternative.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
User avatar
Will Fastie
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Timonium, MD USA

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm

Did you try Visual Studio Code -> Find All References (Shift+F12) ?
The idea is the very, very fast navigation in code.
You get in the same window all references, from all the scripts at an incredible speed.

You cannot have this in RapidPHP. Just try it in VSCode.

There are new ways for modern developing.
I am not against old habits. I just like the better methods.
https://code.visualstudio.com/assets/docs/getstarted/tips-and-tricks/find_all_references.gif

Image
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby Will Fastie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:46 pm

pety wrote:Did you try Visual Studio Code -> Find All References (Shift+F12) ?]

I'm aware.

I'm also aware that VS Code is inferior to Rapid PHP when it comes to PHP development. If VS Code for PHP was better than Blumentals, I'd be using it instead, in a heartbeat. I know this because before I bought Rapid I evaluated VS Code and Atom and a bunch of other stuff, including PhpStorm. I started that evaluation almost a year ago and VS Code is no better with PHP today than it was then. Whatever it can do with PHP comes from extensions; Microsoft put its energy into Python (to limited effect - most Python developers I know use PyCharm).

Of course, I did all my evaluation in the context of PHP. Everything else is secondary. Your priorities may be different.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
User avatar
Will Fastie
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Timonium, MD USA

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:10 pm

I am not talking about superiority vs inferiority.
Just try Find all reference in VSCode now.
You will understand what I am talking about.
Otherwise you say nothing.
VSCode 1.24 is better than the version you tested in past.
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:12 pm

By the way i use Webuilder daily for small projects in PHP.
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:19 pm

I would like more improvements for RapidPHP (Webuilder) becouse I like it and use it.
That's why I do not talk about superiority and software comparing.
But I have to admit that some functionalities from other softare I like to be implemented here.
If it is possible ok, if it is not, that's it.
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby Will Fastie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:10 pm

pety wrote:Otherwise you say nothing.

That doesn't sound very friendly.
pety wrote:VSCode 1.24 is better than the version you tested in past.

I am working on a review of Rapid PHP 2018, to be published at my Web site. Toward that end, I took a look at VS Code 1.24 about ten days ago. Nothing I saw changed my opinion and I stand by my conclusion that not much has changed for PHP in VS Code since last year.

Do not assume that I dislike VS Code. I find it extremely interesting and I pay close attention to it. But my daily work is with PHP and VS Code cannot help me enough. If my choice was between my previous tool (Microsoft Expression Web) and VS Code for PHP, I would choose Expression Web. Fortunately, there is Rapid PHP.

pety wrote:I am not talking about superiority vs inferiority.

All developers seek tools that improve their productivity and efficiency. At the same time, it's extremely difficult (and possibly expensive) to use several tools in order to have all the best features available. I would not necessarily call Rapid PHP superior to VS Code in a general sense but in the sense that Rapid helps me be more productive with PHP than VS Code, I do. I think that is entirely fair and that comparing tools is completely rational.

None of this changes the fact that your idea is a good one. I, too, would like Rapid PHP to gain important features that other products already have.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
User avatar
Will Fastie
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Timonium, MD USA

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 pm

Fastie, did you try that cHaracteristic (functionality> Find all references)?
If not you cannot understand what I say. Period.
I am not sure you can configure VSCode :) as PHP IDE.
No offense !
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby Will Fastie » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:46 pm

pety wrote:Fastie, did you try that characteristic (functionality> Find all references)?

Pety, yes, I did. I tried all the "find" features. As I say, I've been following VS Code for years.
pety wrote:If not you cannot understand what I say. Period.

I understood completely. I studied Computer Science at university with a focus on programming languages, I have used 35 different programming languages and over 100 tools/IDEs during my career, and I have 50 years of experience. I understood.

I tried a pathological case, looking for all references to one of my core PHP functions, tagDIV. I say "pathological" because the function is called a lot (as you can no doubt guess). Results:
  • VS Code 1.24 - find all references - found 451 references in 13 seconds
  • Rapid PHP 2018 (15.1.0.203) - find in files - found 558 in 11 seconds
The discrepancy is due to the fact the Rapid found the string "tagDIV" even when it was not a reference, for example in a comment or a line of code that had been commented out. VS Code missed all of those instances, for obvious reasons. I can confirm that 558 is the right number because my old tool, Expression Web, found that exact number (but in 70 seconds).

VS Code is quick when the number of references is low but no faster than search when the number is high.

In the interest of fairness, I tried Find in Files in VS Code. It found all 558 instances in less than 5 seconds.
Will
WebDesignBuild.biz, Fastie.com
User avatar
Will Fastie
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:47 pm
Location: Timonium, MD USA

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 pm

I appreciate your expertise. Really, I do.
Did you see how easy and fast navigate with VSCode through references?
And all references are open and see the code.

If you remember, that is what I would like to have.
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: Find Usage

Postby pety » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:01 pm

And VSCode memorize entire code portion of all references.
pety
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:17 pm

Next

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron