Does anyone need Code Compare tool?

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

Would you really use code compare?

Yes, often
43%
Yes, sometimes
44%
No, I have never used such tools
13%

Total votes : 142

Does anyone need Code Compare tool?

Postby Karlis » Wed May 25, 2005 2:28 pm

Some customers have suggested that we add code compare tool that allows to compare two similar files in order to easily view and process differences.

Your comments are welcome.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby mwb1100 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:05 am

Personally, I think that this feature might be best implemented by calling an external diff program.

There are many available, from commercial utilites like Beyond Compare (http://www.scootersoftware.com) to freebies like WinDiff (in the Windows Platform SDK).

If you provide some setup option so the user can describe the command line and any switches (specifying the file arguments by replaceable tokens), this would work pretty well. Most source control systems have a similar method to determine what diff utility will be invoked and how to invoke it.
mwb1100

better if beautiful

Postby Ken Comer » Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:12 am

Even if I did not like your particular beautify function, I would like SOME minimum level of "standard format" code modifiers for:
* using diff
* catching unmatched braces/parens/quotes

(This contradicts what I said elsewhere. I was right when I said that I could be wrong.)
Ken Comer

Postby Reuvenm » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:07 pm

Tracing difference in scripts/files, comparing versions (especially in modified gnu-scripts and comparing version progress) are essential feature.
I use it a lot.
I believe many will save time and effort having such tool, with the abilty to auto mark differences and even move the marked line (=difference) from one file to another, like it's done on some compare-programs and the only-mac most-popular code editor "BBedit".
Reuvenm

Postby ggiunta » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:57 pm

As far as I am concerned, diff tools are mostly used outside the current editor, and rather inside the file manager.
Winmerge is good; the one I use the most is the one built-in into total commander.
ggiunta

KISS

Postby ecarlson66 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:31 pm

I have found BeyondCompare to be simply awesome. I cannot imagine that kind of specialized function being integrated with a text editor. If I were you, I would continue to focus on the editing aspects of your software and just link to an external compare tool.
ecarlson66

Postby Grzegorz Wiktorowski » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:53 pm

Last week I start playing with WinMerge and it looks interesting. You can find it here:

http://winmerge.sourceforge.net/
Grzegorz Wiktorowski
OiOK
Grzegorz Wiktorowski

I'm using one....

Postby MoeBass » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:03 am

I'm satisfied with TortoiseMerge, a companion program included with TortoiseSVN which can be found at http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
-Moe :)
if, no matter where you go, nothing seems to change, maybe it's time to look at what you're bringing with you.
MoeBass

Postby Karlis » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:05 pm

Offtopic: We use TortoiseSVN in all our projects, but its diff tool seems to be rather weak.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Re Code Compare

Postby markd » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:15 pm

I agree with certain posters that full file comparison is perhaps going beyond the remit of an HTML/PHP editor (it would be a lot of work to compete with KDIFF for example).

That said, I quite often open two versions of the same page and select tile vertically to look at the two files. When working like this I'd like to be able to synchronise the scroll mechanism. I'd like the mouse-wheel or scroll-bar to move me through two (or three files at the same time.)

markd
markd

Please don't waste energy on it

Postby santocki » Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:15 pm

I use the freeware ComponentSoftware Diff (CSDiff) and it is awesome. It compares the two folders (directories) and shows me a list of files showing what line or code was eliminated, which were added, etc. You don't have to reinvent the wheel.
santocki

Postby daisymorgan » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:15 pm

santocki, many thanks for the recommendation for CSDiff - I just downloaded and tested it and looks like it's going to be a reallyuseful tool!
daisymorgan

I use it often, but would I'm not sure I use it correctly

Postby albo » Thu May 11, 2006 5:35 pm

It would help if, when using e.g. split-screen horizontal with two files (old version of a css and new version of a css) I could compare the two line-by-line and have Webuilder stop on the first line that differs. This function I recall from my old mainframe days using an editor called Xedit. Is this possible in Webuilder? If so, then I'm probably just missing instructions on how to do it...
albo

Postby Ingus » Sat May 20, 2006 9:55 pm

I guess more important it would be to include some versioning system support, as these systems already have these tools integrated. For example we use Subversion and we use their built-in code compare tools. However, there might be situations when such tool is useful.
Ingus

Postby livingsingle » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:01 am

code compare tool would be very useful and helpful for me
livingsingle

Next

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests