"Find" dialog window improvements

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

"Find" dialog window improvements

Postby Franco Fucini » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:39 am

I use WeBuilder since one week and it seems to me that I've used it since TEN YEARS! :D
Please, take note of this: in the "find" dialog window I would prefere that the text in the combo when the window opens could be "selected". So the user can type "directly" something else in place of the last search-string.

And, even more important: the default for the search is "from cursor"...
Since I use very often "entire scope", please, do something: "save" the last usage setting... or place an option in "preferences" for the default value... because is tremendously annoying press "entire scope" every time! And this happens (of course) after the first "failure"...

"Ehh? Not found?... Aaaah... is "from cursor".... click and repeat."
Please, simply preserve the last usage.

Best regards!
Franco
Franco Fucini

Postby Karlis » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:22 pm

Thank you. I agree about the "entire scope". Will see what can be done.

About the selection - it should work already as you described. If not, please describe when does this happen.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ggiunta » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:54 pm

I am not sure if I can correctly describe the wanted behaviour of the find dialog, but I find it almost impossible to start typing a new sentence to be searched for without the dialog trying to second-guess the search string and over-extending it.

It is one of the biggest annoyances I founs so far...

IMHO the 'guessing' code should work like in other web browsers / code editors: do not have proposals accepted by default unless the user presses a key (this probably entails having the proposed string shown not inside the editing component but in a little dropdown)
ggiunta

Postby Karlis » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:16 am

The guesswork should not be the problem, because as you continue typing, the proposed end-part is removed automatically.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby ggiunta » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:55 am

The guesswork should not be the problem, because as you continue typing, the proposed end-part is removed automatically

Yes, but if I first search for 'onestring', then want to search for 'onesecond', I cannot just type 'on', 'one' or 'ones' for the second search: I have to type in at least 'onese'.

Maybe it's just me, but I really prefer to scroll the list of "Most Recent Files/Searches/Whatever" using the down arrow, and not be hassled while typing.[/quote]
ggiunta

Postby Karlis » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:54 pm

You can simply hit the Del or Backspace key to remove the selection.

In the present version there is not much that can be done, but in the future releases we'll try to make this behave in a better way.

Thanks for explaining this problem.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby syrupcore » Sun Jul 24, 2005 12:29 am

I'm so Paranoid about sidewide find and replace. I've severely messed projects before. I have a safeguard suggestion:

Before the replacing happens, could WeBuilder return a list of files where it found the string? then you could proceded.

One step further would be to add a little check box next to the files it found with the string by which you could decide to replace in that file or not.

Maybe I'm dreaming/lazy/afraid!

Thanks
Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:33 pm

Will,

Instead of clicking Replace All, click simply Replace and it will return the desired list of files.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby syrupcore » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:35 am

great!

thanks!

Will!
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:56 pm

The find combo-box will be relpaced with a better one in version 2006.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby syrupcore » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:34 pm

Karlis wrote:The find combo-box will be relpaced with a better one in version 2006.

:D :D
syrupcore
Top Contributor

entire scope please!

Postby annmartinson » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:52 pm

I see you discussing adding the option to choose 'entire scope' or 'from cursor'

I'll be thrilled with this improvement :)
annmartinson

Postby Karlis » Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:41 pm

Yes, in version 2006 there will be an option for allways selecting entire scope when you open find window. :wink:
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests