WordPress Template Tag Highlighting

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of this software

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please follow these guidelines when posting feature requests. This will help to increase the value of your contribution.

• Do not create new topics for already requested features. Add your comments to the existing feature request topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each feature suggestion. Do NOT post a number of non-related feature suggestions in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Do NOT create topics with meaningless titles, such as "My Suggestion" or "My Problem".

Please note that we DO READ all suggestions, even if a reply is not posted. Thanks!

WordPress Template Tag Highlighting

Postby syrupcore » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:22 pm

creating WordPress sites from scratch can be a pain. WP sites are built largely from what they call 'template tags'. the template tags are a basically a bunch of PHP functions stored in other php files. I'd really love it if they were a different color while editing as there's often lots of straight php going on.

lots of the tags have there own set of conditions you can set. you can look them up on their wiki but oh man would assistive code complete be sweet!

I'm on my fourth wp build and am finally pretty comfortable with lots of the tags but there are about 1539 posts per day on their forums from people just starting to develop for it. I think wp currently boasts 1 million+ users. I think there is quite a market there. If there was a wp aware editor out there for $25-35, I'm sure it would get recommended regularly on the forums, maybe even on their home page.

of course, I'd be happy with just some wp syntax highlighting. ;)

Will

ps. http://www.wordpress.org
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby syrupcore » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:31 pm

Possibly extend the idea to making webuilder aware of other web construction enviroments (instead of only languages) like popular CMSs and Blogs.

I'm noticing more requests for this kind of work. more and more people are starting to use them and they dont want to use a template that comes with it. they dont care about coding and dont want to so they hire developers to build/customize their site.

to me, the obvious beauty of the blog/cms is that end users can update their content so easily. I dunno about other people but I hate doing updates! With something like WP, they can do it themselves.

blah blah, what I'm suggesting is that building and styling sites on top of blog/cms systems will likely start to become a larger and larger part of our work as web developers and it would be fantastic if our editor was aware of those systems.

3 cents,
Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Postby Karlis » Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:20 pm

I will think about this ... after everything else is done. We are currently half way done with current 2006 task list.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby syrupcore » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:22 am

really, adding WP or mambo or joomla tags to webuilder is probably the wrong path. being able to add your own highlight/autocomplete files seems like a much more extensible way to go. that also means the blumentals only need worry about adding one feature (a large one, I know!) instead of constantly trying to keep up with whatever's currently popular on the web.

I know webuilder isn't currently setup to handle this but if this thread is adding something to the 2007 feature list, please instead add 'user definable highlight/autocomplete files'.

Thanks for reading.
Will
syrupcore
Top Contributor

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Feature Requests