Update: 2015 13.0.0.161

New release and update announcements

Re: Update: 2015 13.0.0.161

Postby slashy » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:13 pm

While @Aivars is right, I just checked that for EUR prices and it's around the same ~5EUR difference as the $5 in USD (33.27 EUR vs 27.79 EUR). So as an existing customer I save 5€/$5 over a new one, not that fancy savings given the fact that we supported the developement already. As someone already said, if returning customers would get the same 30% instead of only 10% I would instantly buy.
slashy

Postby pmk65 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:07 pm

@kfury77: Normal practice to insure Customer Loyalty is to offer upgrades to existing customers with a substantial discount (IMO 10% is a joke!). But Blumentals does the opposite and reward new customers with the discount. :(

As an example, I recently upgraded Prepros https://prepros.io/ (another program I use) and they offered a 52% discount when upgrading from previous version.

Quoting kfury77: "Honestly, the new version is worth it for the big number of new features and improvements. Buying it will support the developers and remember that many more features and improvements are planned via free updates this year."

As @slashy mentioned earlier, similar list of promised features have been posted for previous releases. And several of those new features NEVER got added to the promised versions. So I'm no going to blindly trust a list of promised features..

I have been a registered WeBuilder user ever since version 2010. But I guess it's time to look for some alternative unless a better upgrade discount will be available soon. As I'm NEVER going to pay more for an upgrade than for a new version.
pmk65

Postby Aivars » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:57 pm

Upgrade costs less than the full version.

I have informed marketing about the issues you've raised here and I even had an argument about it since I think you have a point that Pro and Team versions offer much bigger benefits when upgrading than Personal version.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Postby Karlis » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:08 am

Unfortunately we can not lower the upgrade prices, as we are already making barely enough for this project to be sustainable. Note that we have not risen the upgrade prices for the last 3 years, in contrast to most other companies. Probably our mistake was to offer the radical 30% discount to those 300 extra new users, thus minimizing the difference during the time of this promo. We simply wanted to onboard a batch of more new users.

Obviously, the minimization of price difference between full and upgrade during this promotion was an oversight side effect. But it is a temporary situation - very soon the discounts will end and regular pricing will be restored.

By the way, judging from the provided info, slashy himself must have used similar 30% new user discount a few years ago, so as a new user he has once benefited from this situation himself.

I apologize if some of our older users felt that we do not appreciate them. It is not the case, we try do our best in the economic situation that we have so that we can keep going.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby slashy » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:58 pm

I might have had a discount code, can't remember ;)

But as it stands, the upgrade price is harsh compared to the actual new features, lots of it seems to be cosmetic or just CSS/HTML/etc definition updates to match the newest "standards". I understand that you must live from something and you tell us that you barely make enough with this software, but I think having such "high" upgrade prices while having not much new feature impact is keeping atleast some of us from upgrading (as you can see in this thread, and I am sure this is only the tip of the iceberg) thus effectively losing you money.

Anyway since we won't get lower upgrade prices I got a question, is it possible for me to upgrade from personal to non-personal? As this would only make for a difference of 5€ and would enable me to use it at my workplace. if so I might consider upgrading in februrary (if there's still discount till then).
slashy

Postby Aivars » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Contact support directly (http://www.webuilderapp.com/support-contact.php) when you're ready to upgrade and ask. They are better equipped to answer everything about pricing and licenses.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Previous

Return to Announcements