Blocking changes to system time

Let us know what you would like to see in the next version of iNet Protector

Blocking changes to system time

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:14 am

I think this feature is great exept for one major flaw. When blocking changes to system time has been selected also doesnt allow for time synchronization.
I really hope you can do somthing about this so that only the sytem itself can adjust the time but not the user manually.
Ghost

Re: Blocking changes to system time

Postby Karlis » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:13 pm

The problem is that there is no way to tell who changed the time :( The only way would be to let iNet protector synchronize the time and this does not seem to be an option, but maybe it is.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:37 am

Karlis wrote:The problem is that there is no way to tell who changed the time :( The only way would be to let iNet protector synchronize the time and this does not seem to be an option, but maybe it is.

Can u make it in the new version so that INet protector synchronizes the time when "block changes to system time" has been chosen?
If so i would order a several more copies because the Inet now is simple too easy to go around, because everyone just changes the time on the pc and the blocking option lets my pc time get way behind even in hours after a week!
Ghost

Postby kollo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:40 pm

How come the users are able to change the system time? Do their accounts have administrator rights or "Power Users" rights?
Because a standard user (called "limited user" on XP) cannot change the system time.

If you are letting your users run as administrators they will be able to bypass iNet Protector anyway.
"Power Users" can change the time by default but I think you can change this in the registry somewhere. If you are interested I can try to dig up the details.

kollo
kollo

Postby Ghost » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:56 pm

Kollo that would be awsome if u could tell me how i can make it so that no one (not even admin) can change system time only the system itself with its time sync.
Ghost

Postby kollo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Ghost wrote:Kollo that would be awsome if u could tell me how i can make it so that no one (not even admin) can change system time only the system itself with its time sync.

Administrators should be able to change system time! If you try to limit what administrators can do you will never succeed. There will always be a way around your limitations even if it in some cases will be hard to find the way.

Users that are to be protected by iNet Protector should not be administrators. They should be Standard Users (Vista) or Limited Users (XP). They could possibly be Power Users also but then you will have to revoke some permissions from Power Users such as changing the system time and stopping/deactivating the service for iNet Protector.

How are your users configured?

kollo
kollo

Return to iNet Protector Feature Requests