Page with and without CSS

Discuss general web development questions. Help others and get help from others.

Moderator: kfury77

Page with and without CSS

Postby martin86 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Should the web page be accessible (basic functionality - text, main navigation, main content and features) even if CSS can not be loaded or is not supported or fails to load properly. More and more I see this... The page is being loaded on a slow or very poor connection and CSS does not load.

Now if it is classic HTML, it will still be usable up to some degree, however if it is based purely on CSS layouts, very often there will be nothing more but a mess. Another scenario is - page is loading but the connection is slow, so HTML loads first and for some time we see only a mess of elements, then when CSS finally loads, everything pops into their places.

I had a long discussion about this today with my colleague. I think, the page should be usable (not pretty) even if CSS is not loaded. What do you think?
Life is too serious to be taken seriously Image
martin86

Re: Page with and without CSS

Postby Disk4mat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:47 am

I would agree... The page should always be functional first and aesthetics secondary. I must admit though durring the process I tend to lose sight of this. The more complex the page the harder it could become.

At times when creating a page/site for a client, they are only interested in how it looks. They want things that glitter, flash and of course the sounds lol...

But I agree with the points your making.

I've always liked the idea of text links for navigation at the bottom of every page. CSS or not, you cant miss.
Home | Support | Etc
Disk4mat

Return to Web Developer Talk