Preview of .aspx issue: StartTag: Invalid element name

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Preview of .aspx issue: StartTag: Invalid element name

Postby John_W » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:11 pm

Good morning all!

I'm in the evaluation mode of WeBuilder and I'm really hoping this software does what I want it to do. If it does I will gladly pay the modest registration fee!

First things first is I'm simply trying to preview my webapp' .aspx page. I'm using C#, asp.net 4.5 and a spackling of CSS which I hope WeBuilder will be able to help me with.
My webapp runs with no issues in Visual Studio v15.9.1 (Visual Studio Profession 2017).
When I load it into WeBuilder all the code appears to load fine but when try to preview it, I get the following error: (sadly I can't access image hosting sites here at work due to them being blocked) but what I get back is a pink screen that says:
"This page contains the following errors:
error on line 1 at column 2: StartTag: invalid element name
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error."
And the rest of the screen is blank.
Here is my first line in that .aspx page (remember...this works fine in VS and when I run the webapp):
<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" MasterPageFile="~/Tab.Master" CodeBehind="dbNowConfig.aspx.cs" Inherits="dbNow.dbNowConfig" %>

Very well could be a set up issue with getting WeBuilder configured to run. Not sure.

Thanks for taking a look at this.
John_W

Re: Preview of .aspx issue: StartTag: Invalid element name

Postby Aivars » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:34 pm

To preview your server-side scripts correctly you need to configure which document roots correspond to which web locations. E.g. c:\inetpub\ <--> http://localhost/
To do this, go to menu Options -> Preferences -> Preview -> Mappings and add your locations there.
Blumentals Software Programmer
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

Re: Preview of .aspx issue: StartTag: Invalid element name

Postby SweetiSing » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 am

It appears as if the browser tries to display what it thinks is an XML file since it gives an error on the second character of the first line. So I think the file is not parsed but simply returned as is immediate. Check if your IIS server is configured correctly and that it actually parses your ASP tags before returning the page.
Dot Net Courses In Ahmedabad
SweetiSing

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support