Opening XML File Hangs WeBuilder 2010 Beta

Post your questions and problem reports here

Moderator: kfury77

Forum rules
Please try to follow these guidelines. This will help to receive faster and more accurate response.

• Check the Support section of the corresponding product first. Chances are you will find your answer there;
  • Do not create new topics for already reported problems. Add your comments to the existing topics instead;
  • Create separate topic for each problem request. Do NOT post a number of non-related problem reports in a single topic;
  • Give your topic a meaningful title. Titles such as "A question," "Bug report" and "Help!" provide others no clue what your message is about;
  • Include the version number of the software you are using;
  • This is not an official customer support helpdesk. If you need a prompt and official response, please contact our support team directly instead. It may take a while until you receive a reply in the forum;

Opening XML File Hangs WeBuilder 2010 Beta

Postby CaliforniaJerry » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 am

WeBuilder Beta 10.0.0.108
Windows XP SP2

I'm trying to open an xml file that's only 676 KB. The program just hangs. I tried dragging and dropping the file into WeBuilder while running. I also tried to open the file by Right Click > Open With >WeBuilder. I changed the file extension to .txt, but this still hangs.
CaliforniaJerry

Re: Opening XML File Hangs WeBuilder 2010 Beta

Postby Karlis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:11 pm

Could it be that this file contains all its data on a single line of text or something like that? WeBuilder can not coupe with lines of length that is measurable in tens of more than few thousand characters per line.
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby CaliforniaJerry » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Turns out that is what's happening. Thre are several areas in the xml file where there are long lines.

If WeBuilder can edit such files, that would be nice; however, if not, then it really should give a graceful error message instead of hanging the program. :)
CaliforniaJerry

Postby Karlis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:21 pm

I'll see if we can create error/warning for this. Thanks!
Karlis Blumentals
Blumentals Software
www.blumentals.net
Karlis
Site Admin

Postby davenz » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm

I reported this over a year ago with html files and it still occurs in files with many many lines of code all in one tag. It is annoying but not a show-stopper for me.

Dave.
davenz

Here's a Work-Around to Edit XML Files in WeBuilder

Postby CaliforniaJerry » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Here's something I found, thanks to Will (syrupcore), that may help resolve this issue... viewtopic.php?f=1&t=450&p=14493#p14493

Convert Long Line of XML Text to Multi-Line:
[ jack on October 3, 2007 12:13 PM ] use pspad freeware editor to conver one line of xml and reformat it. this tool will make it multi line.

[ bob on February 4, 2008 12:00 PM ] check the xml tidy extension on beyond compare (available from the beyond compare site).

It uses the xml tidy tool to normalise and indent xml in a standard way, so you can compare two files that are laid out in different ways
( My Comment: This should allow WeBuilder to load these files! )
CaliforniaJerry

Return to HTMLPad / Rapid CSS / Rapid PHP / WeBuilder Support