Memory utilization

Post your questions and problem reports here

Memory utilization

Postby lance » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:30 pm

Probably a staggeringly naive question, but I'll ask it anyway. Is there any way of anticipating what the RAM utilization of a screensaver built with SSF3 will be? Does it correlate to the cumulative size of images contained in the SS? The largest file size? Number of files? Is RAM the most likely constraint which is likely to be exceeded (assuming there is disk space to store the screensaver file in the first place), or on Windows machines is it more likely to be resources which would get stressed first? And, do theses factors change with the various operating systems which have been foisted...er...uh, kindly delivered to us by Microsoft over the past nine years?

Specifically, I built a screensaver containing 31 images ranging in size from 75 to 150K, 31 in total, resulting in a screensaver of just under 4 meg. No sound, no animation, nothing else. Just jpeg images. It was launched on a Windows NT workstation and a low memory message popped up after it had cycled through about 3/4 of the images. As it happens, a bootup virus scan program was running at the same time. The workstation is networked and strapped down pretty tightly. In fact, we needed to be granted admin rights just to load up the test file.

Any thoughts, documentation I can consult, other websites for background information?

Thanks.

Lance
lance

Postby Aivars » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:10 pm

What are the RAM and CPU parameters of the computer you get this low memory error?
Aivars
Blumentals Software Developer

RAM utilization

Postby Baronscarpia » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:44 pm

I have not encountered an error, but the machine I have built the screensaver on has a gig of RAM. What I'm trying to determine is how to anticipate what would be inadequate RAM to run a screensaver as described in the original post.

Thanks anyway.
Baronscarpia

Return to Screensaver Factory Support